You know what you need? You need something yummy. Something that sticks to your belly, leaving you satisfied and full. My Grandma used to make the best chicken biscuits. Fluffy, buttery biscuits that melt in your mouth, salty, tender, fried chicken…Ohhhh it makes my mouth water!
This one will take care of you after the heaviest night of partying! Shredded chicken, tangy white barbeque sauce, all topped with a bit of slaw.
Give it a whirl, you won’t regret it!
- 8 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4 1/2-lb.) whole chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 small yellow onions (about 1 lb.), quartered
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 8 2-inch buttermilk biscuits, split and toasted
- 24 sweet-hot pickle slices
What you do with them:
- Stir together 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon salt, paprika, thyme, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl. Rub mixture on outside and under skin of chicken. Stuff cavity with lemon, garlic cloves, and 4 onion quarters.
- Place 2 inverted shallow ramekins in a 6-quart slow cooker. Place carrots, celery, and remaining onion quarters around ramekins; pour water over vegetables. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of ramekins. Cover and cook on HIGH until a thermometer inserted into thickest portion of breast registers 165°F, about 3 1/2 hours. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to HIGH with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Remove ramekins, and pour stock mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard solids. Reserve stock for later use. Cut chicken into 6 pieces, and place, skin side up, on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Broil until skin is golden brown and crispy, 4 to 6 minutes. Set chicken aside
- Whisk together mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Add 12 oz. shredded, skinless Chicken; toss to coat.
- Combine red cabbage, scallions, 2 teaspoon olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Top bottom halves of biscuits evenly with chicken mixture and red cabbage mixture. Top each with 3 sweet-hot pickle slices, and cover with biscuit tops.